Many of you around these parts are hardcore fantasy football fans. Get out. This pool is for people who only have a passing interest in NFL football, and don't feel the need to manage a roster from week to week, or understand the difference between a quarterback and a linebacker. Or you're a Jaguars fan.
Here are the rules, in broad strokes:
- 17 total participants.
- Each week of the season, you will pick the winners of 10 games, straight up (you pick which 10 games - but you must include all Monday night games).
- Each week will have eight head-to-head matchups between pool participants (one participant gets a bye per week). The winner is the participant who picks the most correct winners. If you pick the same number correct as your opponent, it's a tie.
- The season will therefore be 16 matchups; one against every other participant.
- The top 12 teams will make the playoffs, which will be head-to-head as well based on picking playoff games, but the higher-seeded playoff team will get priority in picking teams (I'll deal with this in more detail as the playoffs approach).
- Deadline for picks will be 3pm Eastern every Friday. Thursday night games are not eligible because screw them. Picks can be sent via Twitter DM to me or by email to DeadspinFootball@gmail.com. I will do my best to post everyone's lineup of picks every week before the games for transparency.
- If you fail to get your picks in on time, you'll default your picks to the road teams in the last 10 games as listed on the schedule at NFL.com in a given week, and you will be publicly shamed.
DougExeter (prohibitive favourite)
Telemundo (Telly2Putts aka superpooperfart)
The Amazing Sneijderman
Bring Back Anthony Mason
Same Sad Echo
Mangini in a Bottle
Evil Roy Slade
DJ Jazzy Jeff Weaver
Capt. Gladys Stoatpamphlet
Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood
If anyone wants to back out before the season starts, let me know. Schedule and conferences will be posted in the next week or so.