In The Summertime by Mungo Jerry
Where do we even start with this video?
First off, this song makes me want to go do a line of blow off the spoiler of my buddy's Hyundai Tiburon. It's seasonal, it's happy and altogether, it's a fucking mess of a video.
- They are performing roadside, on what looks like a surface similar to that of a mini-putt green.
- A gentleman playing the guitar is blowing into what appears to be a 5-liter multi-purpose (see moonshine) bottle to little or no affect. Further, he is doing so with the rhythm of a deaf child.
- The director seems to be enamoured with an apartment building in the background, showing it from multiple angles. While this building may have been luxury at the time, it is now owned and operated by Medaillon Properties and super-intendent Piotr Jerzy. He's a troll. On Jezebel, no less.
"Christ, look at those lovely balconies. I would have a small jardin des legumes out there so I could make fresh, organic salads and have all the neighbourhood pigeons and seagulls drop by and desecrate my property with their fecal droppings."
- Lead singer Ray Dorset sings the line "Have a drink, have a drive." Must I really expand on this idea, besides the fact that it's a great way not to save $300 on your car insurance?
- The keyboard player, while tickling the ivory, has a distinct look painted on his visage that bears a striking resemblance to 110% of convicted pedophiles and other sex offenders. Having said that, I like the looks of the guy and the casual nonchalance with which he hones his craft.
- The 'swishing' noises he makes around the 1:27 mark are truly something to behold.
- Fuck, 2:04. Please.
As a postscript of sorts, Mungo Jerry was a British band named after Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer from T.S. Eliot's Old Possum Book Of Practical Cats. I'm a big Eliot fan, and I assume since the word 'cat' is in the title that the majority of you have just masturbated at your desks, so there's that.
Anywho, Dorset and the ever-rotating members of Mungo Jerry continue to play rural casinos to this day. Check them out, and feel free to give your two cents in the awesome comments section below.
Thanks for reading, and join us next time for another instalment of Funniest Music Video Of All Time.